Jobs at ADSA
ADSA is Hiring!
DATA SCIENCE COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
Apply by Sept 23 for first round consideration
Data Science Communications Coordinator
APPLY BY SEPTEMBER 23 FOR FIRST ROUND CONSIDERATION
Location: Remote in USA, must be available for meetings 10am-2pm Pacific time
Reports to: Executive Director, ADSA
Hours per week: Full-time (part-time may be available)
Overtime Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $50,000–$60,000 commensurate with experience
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Academic Data Science Alliance (ADSA) launched in 2019 to support networks of academic communities to thoughtfully integrate data science into university research and training. We convene academic leaders, practitioners, and educators to share approaches and lessons learned, and to co-create resources for the greater academic data science community. We work with many institution types: R1s, R2s, Minority-Serving Institutions (MSIs), liberal arts colleges, and 2 year community colleges. We strive to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment to promote diversity in the field of data science as a whole, and within our member community. Our commitment to DEI starts with explicitly stating our values in our Mission, Vision, Values statement. These values are made actionable in our Code of Conduct, where expectations of behavior and language are made clear. The ADSA organization currently has multiple years of funding and we are actively engaged in fundraising for long-term sustainability.
The Communications Coordinator will support the ADSA Team in developing content and communicating opportunities, resources, and events to our larger community through social media, our website, and email newsletters. A full-time, or >50% part-time, position will have competitive benefits through our fiscal sponsor, currently Hopewell Fund. Comprehensive benefits package includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance; 3% automatic contribution and a 3% employer match on 401(k) contributions; and paid holiday, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Support communications for ADSA, including creating, posting, and sharing content through its social media channels (Twitter, LinkedIn, Slack, YouTube), our website, and those of its collaborating organizations. Some examples: share, post, and manage incoming job announcements, events, and opportunities for the community, share research news from our members, re-share news from peer organizations and relevant content from the broader community;
- Provide support for the bi-weekly Data Science Community Newsletter and monthly ADSA newsletter through copy-editing, sharing guidelines and resources with sponsors, and integration of content with the ADSA website and ADSA Medium account;
- Attend ADSA events and provide synchronous and asynchronous updates to the ADSA community (tweets, blog posts);
- Create and implement a social media strategy for ADSA;
- Other position-relevant duties, as assigned.
- Growth opportunity: Create and curate content for the Data Science Community Newsletter and our website, including highlighting the work of ADSA communities and initiatives through Research News. This position may also gain increasing responsibilities with the Data Science Community Newsletter, such as soliciting sponsor ads and supporting sponsored content creation.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree and one year of relevant work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent writing skills, adaptable to context and audience as needed (e.g. composing a tweet versus an email)
- Experience working with online social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, Slack)
- Proficiency with productivity tools such as GSuite, Zoom, Microsoft Office and/or Apple equivalents
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and handle multiple projects with competing deadlines efficiently and effectively
- Effective and professional interpersonal skills to interact with diverse groups
- Curiosity about natural science, data science, technological advances, and research findings
- Empathic listener
DESIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Experience with the higher education system (as a student, staff, etc)
- Experience with a website CMS such as WordPress
- Flexibility and an openness to evolving responsibilities
You are a resourceful self-starter who works well both collaboratively and independently. You enjoy detail-oriented tasks and have strong communication, organizational, and time-management skills. You are comfortable with ambiguity, have an ability to prioritize and manage a changing workload, and multitask efficiently. Your ability to communicate tactfully and effectively with a diverse group of faculty, scientists, administrative staff and other members of the research community is an especially good fit for our position.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a CV or resume; cover letter addressing your interest in and experience for the position; and the names and contact information for three references (will not be contacted without your permission) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please reference this job title in the subject line. Applications received by September 23rd will be given primary consideration; position will remain open until filled.
The Academic Data Science Alliance is a project of Hopewell Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public interest projects and grant-making programs. Hopewell is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Hopewell’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, Hopewell Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@hopewellfund.org.